A quick suggestion for whole wheat pasta. The ‘trick’: the sauce isn’t cooked with external heat but cut like a salad and “cooked" by the pasta's heat, immediately after taking it out of the hot water. With colorful cherry tomatoes, protein-rich legumes, olive oil and whole grains which contribute to a sense of fullness. Quick and affordable.
*The whole wheat pasta can be replaced with gluten-free pasta.
Ingredients for 4 servings
1 packet (400 grams) whole wheat penne pasta*
8 red cherry tomatoes
8 yellow cherry tomatoes
8 orange cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
8-10 basil leaves
12 tbsp chickpeas**
1-2 tsp chopped chili pepper
4 tbsp olive oil
2-4 balsamic vinegar
Pinch of iodine rich salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
*Can be replaced with gluten free pasta enriched with nutritional fibers
**Canned legumes can also be used but we recommend using cooked or frozen legumes
- Pot for cooking the pasta
- Heatproof bowl for mixing the ingredients with a little of the pasta cooking water
- Put the pasta in a pot with boiling water (with help from an adult) for 10 minutes, stirring the pasta with a wooden spoon
- While the pasta is cooking, dice all the vegetables and place them in a heatproof bowl
- Mix the vegetables and legumes in the bowl
- Carefully strain the pasta and add it to the vegetable bowl with a little pasta cooking water. The pasta and hot water will “cook” the vegetables and legumes within 2-3 minutes.
- Add spices and mix.
About the recipe:
- Simple to prepare and suitable for the whole family including children. Common ingredients combined with ingredients children don’t usually try. Shared preparation and eating help children experience different and varied ingredients.
- All recipes formulated in accordance with the Ministry of Health’s Nutrition Division guidelines, and the Ministry of Health’s Education Supervision as part of the “EfshariBari” initiative at schools.